AMFTRB Practice Test for the MFT National Examination
AMFTRB is pleased to offer online practice practice examinations for the MFT National Examination. Examination candidates can use these examinations to help assess their knowledge level before taking the actual examination. The practice examinations were developed using actual test questions from previous examinations. These examinations will give candidates the opportunity to become familiar with the format of the test questions and will provide an indication of preparedness for the actual examination. It is the closest practice examination to the "real thing" on the market today since it is the only practice examination designed and developed by AMFTRB. The National MFT Examination practice tests are designed to give candidates exposure to the kinds of questions that appear on the actual examination, enabling candidates to gauge their test preparation.
Why Take the Practice Examination?
The practice examination is designed to help you
- assess your level of MFT knowledge and experience.
- expose you to the types of questions you will see on the actual examination.
- determine if you have the right experience and knowledge to attempt licensing as a marriage and family therapist.
- gain practice experience in viewing and responding to items in an electronic environment as the items are actually presented during the examination and in a timed format, including the ability to mark questions for review or as "skipped" to be returned to later.
What You Need to Know
You may take any of the practice examinations at anytime, any place, using a computer that can connect to the Internet using Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, or Safari web browsers. The practice examinations will not run on Netscape Navigator.
- Each examination fee is $60.00, payable only by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Diners Club, Carte Blanche and Discover credit cards are accepted).
- You may take the examination as many times as you like; however, you will be charged the full practice examination fee each time you register for an examination.
- The 100 questions on each practice examination will remain the same each time you take the examination.
- The examination clock compensates for slow modems or busy web periods.
- You will receive your overall score on the practice examination, as well as a breakdown by domain at the end of the practice examination. Answers to the practice examination items are not provided. The practice examination is designed to show strong and weak areas by domain of your knowledge and experience.
- A passing or failing score on the practice examination of only 100 questions (actual examination has 200 questions) does not guarantee a similar outcome on the actual examination. It can, however, be a good indication of your preparedness.
- The pass point on the practice examination should not be used to calculate a pass point for the actual examination.
Please read all the information carefully before proceeding to the examination.
The Practice Examination vs. The Actual MFT National Examination
The practice examinations have been developed by MFT content experts using the same methodology used to develop the actual MFT National Examination. Because the practice examination questions are actual test questions that have appeared on previous examinations (but have been removed from the bank of test questions), the questions on the practice examination are formatted in the same way as the actual examination questions. It is important to note that a passing or failing score on the practice examination does not guarantee a similar outcome on the actual licensing examination. It can, however, be a good indication of your preparedness.
Practice Examination Fee and Credit Card Options
The cost to take each practice examination is $60.00. This is payable only by credit card whenever you are ready to take an examination. Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Diners, Carte Blanche and Discover credit cards are accepted as payment for the practice examination. Candidates will be charged the full examination fee each time they register for an examination. If you choose and begin taking an examination, you will be charged for that examination and will have to pay the fee again if you choose to take that examination again or if you choose another examination. You will not be able to apply for a refund. You are welcome to take an examination as many times as you like; however, the $60.00 fee will be collected each time.
Plan and Prepare
Before taking a practice examination, be sure to allocate enough time to complete the entire examination. You will be allotted two hours (120 minutes) to take the practice examination. This time frame simulates the actual MFT National Examination time period, which is four hours. If you will need extended time on the actual examination due to a disabling condition, you will be able to have an additional one hour (60 minutes), which will provide you with three hours (180 minutes) on the practice examination to ensure a simulated examination experience. Each examination must be completed within the allotted time. The examination clock compensates for slow modems or busy web periods. Your actual "screen time" will be equal to the time period you choose. The clock will also adjust for any time lost moving from one question to the next. If at any time during the examination process you experience technical difficulties or problems utilizing your MFT Practice Examination online user ID and PIN, please click on the "Feedback" button at the upper right-hand portion of the screen.
The practice examinations have been equated to the same standard of the actual MFT National Examination to provide an indication of your level of preparedness. At the end of a practice examination the overall score (0-100) will be presented to you in terms of the number and percentage of questions you answered correctly. The actual examination raw scoring is 0-200.
Your overall practice examination score represents the sum of your scores in each domain area. On the practice examination the minimum passing score for each domain area is calculated by applying the passing percentage required for the overall examination to each domain area. Your scores are stored permanently and you can retrieve them again at any time free of charge. AMFTRB does not provide answers to the individual questions contained in the practice examination. The practice examination is designed to provide feedback about your strengths and weaknesses within the domains rather than by individual examination questions. For the actual examination, you do NOT need to obtain a minimum passing score in each domain area to be successful on the examination. Strong performance in one area can compensate for weaker performance in another. The overall score on the practice examination is expressed in a raw score ranging from 0 to 100.
The practice examination is scored immediately so you can use the results in your examination preparation. Candidate results from the MFT National Examination are sent to state board offices 20 business days following the close of the test administration week and will be mailed to you via the US Postal System approximately 21 business days after the close of the examination administration window from PTC (Professional Testing Corporation). PTC must wait until the administration window has closed to perform the statistical analyses of the test data. Once the analyses are completed, test score results are first sent to your state licensing board office and then mailed to you.
The testing site is compatible with Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Safari web browsers. The practice examinations will not run on Netscape Navigator.