Exam Process and Dates
The National Marital and Family Therapy Examination is administered via computer. Candidates have the opportunity to take the Exam during a 28-day window of time at testing locations offered through Prometric. Beginning in 2015 candidates will have a monthly opportunity to test. Approximately October 15, 2014 updated MFT Exam information will be available here.
Until then the following applies (some of which will remain the same and some of which will change for 2015):
- Candidates must FIRST contact their state board for applications and eligibility requirements.
- After the state board has approved the applicant to sit for the Exam, the state will upload the candidate's information including email address, to Professional Examination Services (ProExam)/AMFTRB.
- The candidate should follow the payment instructions as defined by their state.
- Candidates are required to complete an online application for ProExam/AMFTRB. The candidate will receive an email or regular mail notification of the online link for this application ONLY AFTER the state in which the candidate has applied for a license UPLOADS the state approval to ProExam.
- Once the ProExam/AMFTRB application is completed and the examination fee has been received, candidates will receive an identification number and information concerning the testing centers. Candidates will be instructed to contact Prometric directly to schedule their examination date and time. Please note that there is an additional seventy-five dollar ($75.00) testing-site fee.
- Please contact your state board directly with any questions concerning application deadlines and additional fees for licensure and application. Your state may have additional requirements that may supersede the ones outlined above.
An official score report will be mailed to state board offices 20 business days AFTER THE CLOSE of the testing window.
01/13/2014 to 02/08/2014
05/19/2014 to 06/14/2014
08/11/2014 to 09/06/2014
10/20/2014 to 11/15/2014